What We Do
High-level care in an intimate environment.
Amityville Animal Hospital is equipped with full in-house laboratory equipment capable of running complete blood counts, chemistry panels, urinalysis, and microscopic evaluation of specimens often the same day samples are taken. The hospital also offers diagnostic ultrasound, radiographs and laser therapy, all without leaving our premises.
In addition to standard veterinary care, we are proud to offer the following services:
A. Complex orthopedic procedures
- Anterior cruciate ligament repair and stabilization. This is the famous football knee injury that animals can develop by being either very athletic and injuring themselves, or by being sedentary and obese, leading to degeneration of the ligament that holds the knee together.
- Medial patellar luxation repair. This is when the “knee cap” is loose, and slips off its normal joint surface.
- Fracture stabilization. Broken bones are often difficult to repair; Dr. Roiland has extensive experience in this area.
B. Soft tissue surgical procedures
- Entropion repair. This corrects inward rolling of the eyelid margins.
- Abdominal surgeries including resection and anastomosis (removing diseased sections of intestines and reattaching the healthy sections); exploratories (especially if an animal has eaten a foreign body); complex or difficult cystotomies (allowing access to the inside of the bladder); and cancer surgeries.
- Invasive tumor removals, as well as many other surgical procedures.
C. Laser therapy NEW!
An advanced treatment modality now offered at Amityville Animal Hospital. This non-toxic procedure is used to treat inflammatory and other painful conditions in pets, and is commonly prescribed for:
- Pain relief
- To reduce swelling, control inflammation and speed healing
- Acute tissue damage
- Arthritis pain and inflammation
- Back pain/lameness
- Bone healing
- Joint problems
- Nerve damage
- Tendon/ligament injury
- Superficial ear cuts
- Hip and knee pain
- Hard-to-heal wounds
- Post-surgical inflammation
D. Complex medical cases
The extensive relationships Dr. Roiland and his staff have with boarded internal medicine specialists allow ample access to invaluable resources in case management.